Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Banana Butterscotch Bars (or something)


So I haven't quite gotten the name worked out, but these fudgy 'nana bars boast just the right amount of sweetness and spice and are topped with a generous sprinkle of butterscotch chips. Perfect with a cup of coffee and not terribly bad for your health, either. Here in Denver I can obtain virtually every vegan baking chip imaginable at East Side Kosher Deli, but if you're not lucky enough to have access to the elusive joy that is vegan butterscotch chips, you can substitute chocolate chips or just omit them altogether.

1 overripe banana, mashed well
1/4 c applesauce
1/4 c non-dairy milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp canola oil
1/4 c + 2 tbsp brown sugar
1 c whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp vegan butterscotch chips (chocolate or white chocolate will also do, but b-scotch is the best, yo)

Preheat oven to 350 F. In a large bowl, add the wet ingredients and sugar to the mashed banana, and mix well. Add the dry ingredients and combine. Spread into a lightly-oiled 8x8 inch pan and sprinkle with the chips. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, until they pass the toothpick test. Don't over bake lest your bars become dry and cakey rather than moist and fudgy.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am totally making these tomorrow. Have you used the coffee chocolate chips yet?

My butterscotch chips have hydrogenated oils but I have missed butterscotch so much so I will hope and pretend that a bag will not clog my arteries.

Becca Elouise said...

Oh yay, lemme know how they turn out. You only need two tablespoons of the chips, so hopefully your arteries will be okay.

I have used the coffee chocolate chips. They taste just like chocolate covered coffee beans.

sarchan said...

Whoa, you manage to get a banana based baked good come out fudgey with hardly any oil? Magic.

Unknown said...

to this, I say yesh. (I'm also loading up on them coffee chips, because holy crap.)

x said...

Yummo, banana-y baked goods, I might try these with white chips.

Unknown said...

I want these. In my mouth. Must find butterscotch chips!

Anonymous said...

these were a success! I only had 1 T of butterscotch chips so I mixed them in the batter and topped them with chocolate chips & walnuts for fun. I can't believe how fudgy they taste without EB or a lot of oil. I am a fan.

nora said...

These look awesome! If I ever get vegan butterscotch chips I will make them!! anyone know if you can get them at foodfight in portland? i'll be there over the summer for an animal rights conference!